Thursday 14 February 2013

Welcome

Hi there and welcome to my blog, where I plan to give you an insight into what's going on in and around Passion Flower Studio. Each month I'll update you on what's hot on my workbench at the moment, what I've learnt while making it, and any other related 'findings' of info and news that may be useful.

This week I've made two pairs of earrings based on one of my most popular designs - cornflowers. I've made eight pairs of these earrings in total, changing the length, centres and stamens to make each pair unique. These two are a long pair with long, symmetrical stamens, and a shorter pair with wavy stamens to look as if they are just unfolding. These earrings will also become a feature article in American jewellery journal Art Jewelry. As a keen gardener and plant watcher, I love to make jewellery in floral designs. Even my new workshop is called Passion Flower Studio after a flower that I love for its sculptural shapes. So expect a big bouquet of different native UK and exotic inspired species-pieces as we jump into Spring.


I am also currently working on a commission for a pair of 9ct gold asymmetrical earrings based on a pebble design, for a client who lives near the beach. I can't show a photo of them in progress, as it's only fair that the client is the first person to see their finished piece of jewellery, but I am certainly learning a lot in making these. One thing I've learnt is never to hold your breath when engaged in a tricky piece of soldering, as when you eventually exhale you blow out not only the flame on your torch but the candle under the pickle-bath too!

I'd like to thank artist printmaker Hugh Bryden who created the logo and lettering for my studio as my Christmas present from Andy. It feels great to have an identifiable 'brand' for my work at last, instead of my usual ad hoc mix of photos and fonts for my home made business cards. I'm celebrating the launch of my Passion Flower Studio by sponsoring a piece of public artwork for display at Grange over Sands Station. I'll keep you posted as to which piece of Art it will be.  

Listening to the radio or music while I work helps me to concentrate. This week my favourite has been Born To Die by Lana Del Rey. I'm enjoying the retro 50s vibe and the edgy stories in the tracks.

All jewellery featured on these pages is also available to buy or order, and I always have a number of other items for sale too. Please contact me if you are interested in any of the pieces, want to seemore, or if you would like to place a commission.